Saturday, August 8, 2009

Previous Occupant

Things are going swimmingly at the Claim Shanty. We are unpacking furniture and kitchen items, and I mowed my lawn at my house with my lawnmower. It took like three hours, but I had to clear a bit of jungle out of the southwest corner of the lot. There remains a large portion of the Quarter Acre Wood that will have to be beaten back another day.

Sorry I have no pictures, but I do have a story. I was preparing to patch the drywall behind the stove when I realized that the edge of the area to be patched had mold on it. After cutting out that portion of drywall, I found evidence of a previous occupant: a mouse.

How can you be sure it was a mouse? What evidence did you find?

I'm glad you asked. The evidence included a nest in the wall, which showed mousekind workmanship and scrap materials: plastic bag shred here, shirt tag there. This was pretty convincing, but what sealed the deal was his carcass. That's right. I found a dead mouse in the wall. Annie was displeased. I was a little more upbeat about it, because at least the mouse was dead. Instead of having to chase it all through the walls with a drywall saw, his deadness meant I could just clean out the wall cavity and spray the whole area with bleach water. Tonight I intend to finish patching, and then we can move the stove out of the middle of the room.

Lev 11:27 - Also whatever walks on its paws, among all the creatures that walk on {all} fours, are unclean to you; whoever touches their carcasses becomes unclean until evening.

1 comment: