Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Digging Fun!

Last night, I dug. It was interesting. I learned more about our house. The soil is very easy to dig. Almost too easy to dig. Except when it's concrete, which is what some of it is. What does that mean?

There is an area between the utility room door and the kitchen door that collects water during storms. This area slopes toward the corner between these two doors and encourages the pooled-up water to enter our home. My thought was that we could dig up the whole area and put in a drainage solution of some type.

Well, the area in that corner is really concrete, covered by a thin layer of dirt. The concrete slopes toward the corner. I haven't figured out yet if that is a part of the garage addition's foundation or not, so it might be impossible to dig it up, and the drainage issue will have to be solved another way.

This challenge is not terribly upsetting, though, because I dug a little channel for water to flow into that I think is at a lower level than the path water has been taking into the house. I hope it'll keep the utility room dry during the next storm, which may be later this week.

Job 22:15-16 - Hast thou marked the old way which wicked men have trodden? Which were cut down out of time, whose foundation was overflown with a flood.

(Is a leaky house a punishment for wickedness? Does the degree of the leak indicate the degree of wickedness? I'm sure I'm reading too much into this out-of-context scripture.)

No comments:

Post a Comment