Saturday, May 1, 2010

I am about to overdo it

Okay, a picture is worth a thousand words, making this my longest post ever by about THREE MILLION WORDS. I haven't had a flash drive for a week, so I am now reporting to you, Dear Reader, from our laptop inside of a Panera Bread. Buckle up.

Remember how I was attaching concrete backer board to the floor? Did you wonder what the mortaring process looked like? BAM!


Is one angle not enough angles? BAM!


Perhaps a slight change in zoom level will be to your liking? BAM!


Okay, seriously, I won't upload every picture of everything. WHOOPS!


All right, I'll change subjects. The following night, I had to start by taping and mudding the joints of the concrete backer board with the same mortar that would be used under the tile. HERE IS WHAT IT LOOKED LIKE.


This was the beginning of the all-night tiling marathon.


This was the first tile I have ever installed in my lifetime.


Obviously, it was not my last.


I think this was the last one of the night, or rather morning, like SIX AM IN THE MORNING.


On another day in another week, we started grouting. That was more pleasant.


We used this borrowed rubber float (thanks, Tom!) to cram that grout into the cracks...until I got tired of it and started using my finger. I have already communicated the folly of this, I believe.


Once the grout was cured, we took down upper cabinetry, removing doors first.


It turns out the cabinet was attached to the wall with screws. Being familiar with these fasteners, we made short work of removing them.


Don't worry, folks, this was UNIMAGINABLY HEAVY.


To drive the point home, it was a full TWO HOURS between that last picture and this next one. Okay, not really, but it sure felt like it.


SURPRISE.


Then we removed the window, opening a channel betwixt the world of the kitchen and the world of the utility room. HELLO.


Ah, yes, and something new, about which I have not yet blogged. Do you know what it is? It apparently took four grown men to do it:


And they did it quite well. BEHOLD!


Do you know what they did yet?


I leave you with a panorama of what is now our kitchen.





You've come a long way, kitchen. [sniffle]



II Corinthians 5:17 - Therefore if any man [be] in Christ, [he is] a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Justin,
    if those old cabinets are still in tact, i would be interested in getting said cabinets from you, if you had no plans for them. If you do have plans for them, God speed to you and your plans. :)

    ReplyDelete