Monday, May 24, 2010

I dug a ditch

Saturday was largely invested in digging a ditch behind our house. It is modest, but it took the better part of a morning, and it is at least some temporary attempt to alleviate the millions of gallons of water that assault our home every rainstorm.

The main trick is the fall rate. You want at least a quarter of an inch every two feet (if memory serves) and I had to construct a level adapter by taking a quarter-inch bit of window trim and duct-taping it to the end of the two-foot level. Since we had some leftover frames from discarded cabinet doors, I used one of these to keep the level above ground so I could actually read it (and yes, I did make sure the frame was square before I used it for this purpose).

It was rough. I pulled something in my back (Annie suggested I push it back) and I got a bit of the prickly heat, but at least I'm safe in knowing that a couple of hours after digging the trench, some moles demolished one end of it.

I can't wait until it rains, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment