Thursday, July 9, 2009

Pictures of Destruction

Hello again!
As I mentioned a couple of days ago, I got to tear apart our garage room a little bit (about halfway). This room is on the north side of the house. A little sledgehammer, a pry bar, absolutely no finesse, and we're well on our way to discovering more about our amazing new home! First, the before pics:

Here's a bit of the east wall in the garage room, where the garage door used to be.

This is the southeast corner of the garage room. Note the unsightly fluctuations in the walls here. I wonder: what's underneath?

This is on the west wall of the garage room; this wall is shared with a utility room on the west side of the house.

This is also on the west wall, a little nearer the water heater, which I'll talk about more tomorrow.

Now that I've shown you the icky state of the drywall, with all its holes, malformations, and scary texturing, let me show you what a little bit of elbow grease can reveal about our home.

This is the east wall after the demolition. We have some insulation here, some of which will have to be replaced. The insulation is only in the area where the garage door used to be.

Here's why we'll have to replace some of this insulation; a rodent made his home here for a while before skipping town for the summer.

This is that southeast corner when it's bared. Apparently, there's a little mildew here. I wonder what the Reader's Digest Complete Do It Yourself Manual has to say about that...

And this last pic is the east wall, sans wallboard. That little bit of mildew down there concerns me, but it's not a big, big deal.

Our hope is that tomorrow evening we can finish the demolition and maybe start putting in the insulation and new drywall. I could use a hand moving the new drywall out of the garage room and back up into the living room, if anybody's handy. Email me for the phone number at the new house.

There's a lot more to talk about; Annie's been painting like mad, and we've had some professional help I'd like to mention. All in good time, though. Until tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment