Monday, April 12, 2010

In Which the House Gets Jacked Up

There is a joist under the south wall of the kitchen in which a huge cutout was made to accomodate some ancient plumbing rearrangement. The cut allowed the southeast corner of the kitchen to sink a bit. I borrowed some jacks (Thanks, Tom!) and set to work propping the joist up little by little. Almost a week later, it was mostly level. The west side was, at any rate. The east side wasn't strong enough, I fear. It began to show some minor cracks and I realized that it just wasn't going to handle the continued pressing of the jacks for much longer, so I braced it the way it was.

Going underneath the house everyday for nearly a week had its effect on me, though. I don't feel so bad about spelunking the crawlspace, which may be because of the plastic sheeting I laid down.

All of that work was to prepare the way for further work on the floor, which needed to be as level as possible. More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment