Saturday, June 19, 2010

Surveyed!

Last weekend, I did some invention. I have to draw our yard, and then draw what it should look like with some retaining walls. Then I can submit all of this to the engineer at the concrete block place and he'll tell me what I did wrong. I'll get the results up here another time, complete with error propagation analysis, but I will spare you today.

What invention did I do? To survey land usually requires two people and some specialized equipment. I used a method that required neither. Witness!


As can be seen in the image above, the innovation I introduced to the world was incredible. Here is my secret formula: 1 six-foot martial arts staff, 1 two-foot level, and the handyman's secret weapon, duct tape.

The first step was to place my highly calibrated device -- wait for it -- on the very earth I was surveying. Note that there was a stick pressed into the ground to mark the point I'm measuring.


Next, I had to make sure the instrument was lined up with previous sticks stuck in the ground -- i mean, I had to align it with the existing calibration grid.


Once my scientific apparatus was in place, the next task was to raise the pole until the level read level. I then used an adjustable-length scale (commoners know it as a tape measure) and determined the height of the ground six feet away relative to the current point.


Using proper laboratory method, I then recorded my observations for later analysis. And I got bitten by mosquitoes, and worked on my farmer's tan. All in all, a good afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment